Saturday, January 8, 2011

weekend in the kitchen


On this snowy weekend, it's a perfect time to put on my apron and look through cookbooks for new soup recipes. My new favorite is from the All the Best blog posted over the holidays for a spicy pumpkin soup. It is easy and delicious. Thank you, Ronda Carman!

Southwest Pumpkin Soup
3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup half and half
2 15-ounce can pure pumpkin
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Garnish:
Grated sharp cheddar cheese
Chopped fresh cilantro
Avocado slices
Sour cream
Toasted pumpkin seeds

Bring vegetable stock and whipping cream to boil in heavy medium pot. Whisk in canned pumpkin, cumin, chili powder, coriander and nutmeg. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until soup thickens slightly and flavors blend, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish each serving with cheddar cheese, cilantro, avocado slices, sour cream, toasted pumpkin seeds and serve.

3 comments:

  1. I'm an interior designer from Melbourne, Australia - I loved your blog, I found it very inspiring. This is all new to me but I have just set up my own blog
    scrapbook-melissah.blogspot.com
    You may like to check it out because I had so much fun doing it.
    Thanks for providing me with such great entertainment!
    Cheers
    Melissah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds devine! Can't wait to try this soup.
    Beautiful picture.....

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Tricia! I love you work and it was fun to see my recipe posted on your blog.
    All the best,
    Ronda

    ReplyDelete